Q Gardens launched its composting system on April 11, 2015! Please drop off your kitchen scraps and other compostable materials during these hours:
- Saturdays 12 – 2pm
- Sundays 2 – 4pm
- Wednesdays evenings (May – September only) – check calendar
Interested in becoming a Q Gardens Compost Volunteer? We would love for you to join us! Sign up directly to host compost drop off hours with an experienced volunteer here: http://vols.pt/auMeNU or send us an email at nataliajsucre[at]gmail.com to be added to the composting team roster.
What materials can I drop off?
● fruit and vegetable scraps
● coffee grounds and tea bags
● egg shells
● food-soiled paper towels or napkins
● fresh leaves, flowers, green plants and garden trimmings
● bread and grains (nothing with oil!)
● shredded newspaper or brown paper
Please do NOT bring:
● meat or fish scraps
● anything with fats, grease or oil
● cheese or dairy products
● non-compostable materials such as Plastic, Metals or Glass
● pesticide-treated plants, grass clippings, deceased or pest-infested plants
At home you can save your food scraps in the refrigerator or freezer; freezing will kill any food flies and bugs often found on the skin or shell of most fruits and vegetables, and the added moisture helps in the compost decomposition process. Carrying your food scraps in a reusable (and rinsable) container means no yucky plastic bag to get rid of.
Other compost drop-off locations around NYC are mapped here.